Black Bean and Sweet Potato Flautas
- 9 corn tortillas
- 1 cup of Black beans(drained and rinsed if using canned)
- 1 cup Mexi-corn (corn with diced red/green peppers)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 1/4 cup of diced white, yellow, or red onion
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried or fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes (optional)
- 4-6 ounces of grated cheese, plus extra to taste
- 1-2 heaping tablespoons of taco sauce, enchilada sauce, or salsa
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive Oil spray
- parsley or cilantro (can also add fresh veggies as garnish)
- Salsa, guacamole, and sour cream (optional)
Preheat your oven to 425°F. Poke a few holes in your sweet potato, wrap it in a slightly damp paper towel, and microwave on high for about 6-8 minutes – the paper towel helps keep your potato moist.
While you wait combine the corn, diced peppers, and diced onion with your black beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, cilantro, cayenne, and taco sauce/salsa. If you prefer very tender veggies, feel free to sauté the vegetables first in a little butter or oil to tenderize. The cayenne and red pepper flakes will control the spice-factor; adjust those to taste. Once your sweet potato is cooked, fluff the inside with a fork and add the flesh [minus the skin] to the rest of your veggies and mix thoroughly.
Add salt, pepper, and any additional seasoning to taste.
Next, working in small batches of maybe 3-4 tortillas, wrap corn tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for 30 seconds. Follow it up with an additional 30 seconds, if needed. (The goal here is to steam the tortillas so they roll into perfect flautas without breaking or cracking)
Immediately spray or rub one side of each tortilla with oil and add “line” of veggie filling to the center of the “dry side” of each tortilla, about 1-inch thick. Top it off with a layer of cheese (and any garnish veggies you’d like!) and roll the tortilla. Enjoy!
Tons more awesome recipes in my group if you would like to join us! Request access!