Tis the season for the soup, especially with all these awful viruses and flu’s going around!
Broccoli Turmeric Soup
• 1 tablespoon organic virgin coconut oil
• 1 small white onion-diced (½ cup)
• 1 stalk organic celery—diced
• 1½ teaspoons Himalayan pink salt
• 2 garlic cloves—minced
• 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
• 1 large head Broccoli—stems removed and cut into florets
• 1 bay leaf
• 5 cups organic vegetable stock
• ¼ teaspoon fresh ginger—grated
• ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
• ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
• 1 small avocado
• ½ fresh lemon
Melt coconut oil over medium heat in a large pot with a lid. Add diced onions and celery and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the Himalayan pink salt. Cook until soft around 3-5 minutes.
Add garlic and turmeric during the last 1-2 minutes of the onions and celery cooking, and continue cooking on low heat while stirring frequently to keep the garlic and turmeric from burning.
Add broccoli florets, bay leaf, vegetable stock, ginger, cayenne, black pepper, and remaining ½ teaspoon of salt. Cover pot and cook over medium-low heat until broccoli is tender, around 25-30 minutes.
After soup is done cooking, remove from heat, remove the bay leaf and add peeled and pitted avocado that is cut in half. Puree soup with an immersion blender until smooth. You can also blend the soup in a regular blender. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Pour soup into bowls and add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice.