It’s Saturday – let’s have a cocktail, shall we?
Spiced Rum Fig Kombucha –
- 3 teaspoons fig simple syrup (see below)
- 2 ounces Spiced rum
- 2 ounces fresh squeezed orange juice
- Whole ice and crushed ice
- Kombucha (I like Synergy or Health-Ade)
- Fig (for garnish)
Add the fig syrup, spiced rum, orange juice and a few whole ice cubes to a cocktail shaker. Shake vigorously. Strain into a glass with crushed ice and top with kombucha. Serve with a fresh fig.
Fig Simple Syrup
- 12 ounces fresh figs, stems removed and quartered (about 6)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar (brown sugar, coconut sugar, maple sugar, etc)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir until sugar starts to dissolves and figs begin to soften. Mash the figs as they cook. Once all of the sugar has dissolved and figs are breaking apart, remove from heat and allow to sit, covered, for 30 minutes. Cool completely before straining into a clean jar or bottle, cover and keep refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
Note: I prefer to use coconut sugar, personally.