I totally get it. I adore chocolate now, which is really funny because before my Diabetes diagnosis 6+ years ago, I hated it, and could probably count on one hand how many times I had consumed it. I remember my sister winning a 5lb Chocolate bar and being disgusted about it!
I didn’t like it then, but now I do… not ideal, but what can I do? That’s how things work… they usually become a helluva lot more appealing once they are dubbed “off limits” or “enjoy very sporadically”.
Luckily, my chocolate Shakeology does ease a lot of this, giving me the satisfaction of chocolate without as much sugar or carbs.
But sometimes, even Shakeology can’t satisfy the craving (luckily, this is a RARE occurrence or I would be in trouble!). Today’s swap enables you to get a richer, healthier form of chocolate, and in doing so, shave off 26.1 grams of carbs and add 7.8 grams of protein… I mean I am no math whiz, but those are pretty impressive numbers!
Plus, here are 5 reasons to consume cacao:
- Cacao contains the mood improver, anandamide – known as the bliss molecule, which creates a feeling of euphoria. Yay happiness!
- The antioxidant properties of cacao are also found to reduce insulin resistance and sensitivity in people with impaired glucose tolerance and smokers.
- Cacao helps reduce the stress hormone cortisol, and improves metabolism.
- Better digestion thanks to the fiber found in raw cacao, that stimulates the body’s digestive enzymes.
- Cacao boosts brain levels of serotonin, the feel good brain chemical. The benefits of cacao are proven to boost the brain levels of calming hormones and restore feelings of well-being.