Husband and I recently tried a new recipe, it was pretty simple, but very tasty!
Recipe is as follows:
- ¾ lb Pasta (we used gemelli; fusilli or any other short pasta will also work)
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 leeks – halved lengthwise (white and light green parts only!)
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 10 ounces baby spinach
- Heavy cream (to substitute heavy cream, melt 1/3 Cup unsalted butter and add to 3/4 Cup milk. If you use low fat milk, add 1 tablespoon of flour to thicken it.)
- Cook the pasta according to the package. Drain and then return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks have softened (about 3-5 minutes).
- Add the shrimp and lemon zest and cook, tossing frequently, until the shrimp is opaque throughout, about 4-5 minutes more.
- Add the cream )or substituted milk mixture!), and 1/2 teaspoon salt to the pasta in the pot, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until slightly thickened, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the shrimp mixture and the spinach and toss to combine. Place lid over skillet to “steam” the spinach.
The recipe calls for heavy cream, however we used the substitute milk/butter mixture.
I grated some Parmesan cheese over mine because I like it with my pasta, but you don’t have to.
How’s it sound? Let me know if you try it! 🙂