Yum! I love eggs, and I love breakfast, AND I love my slow cooker! I should note that I consider this more of a “splurge” breakfast – nothing I would eat every day, but sometimes you gotta live and let live on the weekends!
This tasty recipe comes courtesy of Betty Crocker!
- 10 cups cubed French or ciabatta bread (about 12 oz)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 package (8 oz) sliced fresh mushrooms (about 3 cups)
- 9 eggs
- 2 cups (1 pint) half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 cups shredded smoked Cheddar cheese (8 oz)
- 1 lb thick-sliced bacon, cooked, drained and coarsely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Heat oven to 300°F. On large cookie sheet, spread bread cubes. Bake 20 to 30 minutes or until dry.
- Line sides of 4- to 5-quart slow cooker with foil that has been folded into thirds; spray with cooking spray.
- In 10-inch skillet, melt butter. Add mushrooms; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, just until tender.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, half-and-half and pepper flakes with whisk. Reserve 3/4 cup cheese; set aside. Stir in remaining cheese, the bacon, bell pepper and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Fold in bread cubes; stir to coat. Spoon mixture into slow cooker.
- Cover; cook on Low heat setting 4 to 5 hours or on High heat setting 2 to 3 hours or until temperature reaches 160°F in center and egg mixture is set.
- Sprinkle reserved cheese and remaining 2 tablespoons parsley over top. Cover; cook about 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Remove foil before serving by loosening edges with table knife.
Great to prep everything ahead either Friday night or Saturday night and cook in the morning for a leisurely weekend breakfast!