Got Vitamin D? Not only is the nutrient a known bone builder (you can’t absorb calcium without it!), it seems that Vitamin D may also help ramp up your immunity, according to a research scientist at the University of California at Davis. Many people can make enough if they get 15 minutes of sunshine a day. But when it’s cold out, we tend to hibernate. Luckily, in cooler months, there are plenty of things on the menu to help you get an adequate intake. Aim for at least 400 international units a day.
- Salmon, cooked, 3.5 ounces – 360 IU of Vitamin D
- Sardines, canned, 1.75 ounces – 250 IU of Vitamin D
- OJ, vitamin D-fortified, 1 Cup – 100 IU of Vitamin D
- Skim Milk, 1 Cup – 100 IU of Vitamin D
- Soymilk, fortified, 1 Cup – 100 IU of Vitamin D
- Mushrooms, white, raw, 1 Cup – 164 IU of Vitamin DOf course, this is just a simple example, there are plenty others out there too 🙂