Show life who’s the boss. These simple, yet effective strategies will help.
- Focus on your attributes – If you think you are unworthy, other people will too. Make a list of 20 things you like about yourself, including talents such as your ability to run 6 miles 3 times a week, or your knack for completing 50 squats a day, etc. Tape it inside your daily planner, to your fridge, to the bathroom mirror – tape it somewhere you will see it and can use it to remind yourself how awesome you are on days you might not be feeling awesome.
- Steer clear of people who drag you down – Okay this may seem harsh, but its super important. If someone is dragging you down, and not adding anything positive to your life – let them go. People who constantly tell you what you are doing is wrong, complaining, belittling your accomplishments by one-upping (there is a HUGE difference between friendly competition and one-upping!), they aren’t adding anything. In fact, their clear unhappiness is contagious, and can rub off on you. Positive people build you up, and give you the energy to keep going, even during the hard times.
- Save at least 10% of your income – anyone who is serious about gaining control of their money should aim to save 10%. To put more cash away, go out to dinner less and cook more – bonus: you control what goes in the food!
- Don’t take everything so personally – Blaming yourself for things that aren’t your fault is a cause for low self esteem. I know it’s hard, but you can’t take everything personally. So the next time you are at a party and the person you are chatting with excuses themselves, don’t assume its because you are boring him… tell yourself its a party, he wanted to mingle, and get out and do the same!
- Nix negative thinking – Every time a critical thought pops into your head, toss it right back out by telling yourself something encouraging to counter it. Don’t get down on yourself because you can’t yet run a marathon; praise yourself for continuing with the training and discipline!
- Stop worrying about what other people think – If you live according to your own values, you’ll feel more confident and satisfied. And I hate to break it to you but… most people aren’t spending their time thinking about you. Be happy with yourself, and let your confidence radiate!